Luton Borough Council — Adult Social Care


Luton Borough Council's adult social care department is here to help and advise individuals who may find it difficult to manage everyday activities such as managing steps or stairs, getting in and out of bed or generally looking after themselves. This may include people who have short term problems for example if your leg is in a plaster or someone is waiting for a hip operation.  Below are contact details for different services available:

  • Luton Borough Council Adult Social Care: Telephone: 01582 547659/ 547660
  • Childcare Referral and Assessment team Telephone: 01582 547140/ 547653 or 547623 7622
  • Education Welfare Telephone: 015852 548174
  • Luton Crisis response team is for urgent care/ nursing input to prevent hospital admission initially and the service is available for 24 Hours via Telephone: 01582 548800
  • Central Bedfordshire Single Point of Contact (SPOC) Telephone: 08456024064
  • For examples of care and support service goes to page 11-14 of the: Getting Help from Social Care Services: A guide to Assessment, Personal budget and Support planning.

Who to Refer

  • People who live in Luton with a Luton postcode and are currently paying their  council tax to Luton Borough Council (LBC)
  • Persons with needs such as, but not limited to: equipment, mobility, personal care (assistance with washing/ dressing), toileting/transfers
  • Persons will be screened to ensure they meet eligibility criteria using the Fair Access to Care Services (FACS) criteria and may be sign-posted elsewhere if they don't meet eligibility criteria
  • Persons will also be financially assessed (means tested) for services provided by LBC and there may a charge for services
  • People with safeguarding concerns
  • People who are not be eligible for Adult Social Care Services may be signposted to other internal and external agencies such as Affordable Warmth Age Concern, Sight Concern etc.

Please note: when seeking/receiving advice in regard to patient care and making referrals, NHS Connecting for Health Information Governance standards and policies must be adhered to.

Who not to Refer

  • People living outside Luton
  • Some people living in parts of Cromer Way in Bushmead and some sections of Poynters Road may not be deemed to be LBC residents. Therefore they may be referred to Central Bedfordshire Council for their health and social care support. The contact telephone number for Central Bedfordshire is 0300 300 8303


A wide range of information leaflets  is available from the Customer Services Centre at Luton  Town hall or visit:

Age Concern



Telephone: 01582 456812


Getting Help from Social Care Services

Telelink Care Services

The Disability Resource Centre

Last updated: 13/08/2013

Update due: 13/08/2014