The Children's Eye Service is provided by Ophthalmologists and
Orthoptists who specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of eye
conditions by medical and surgical means.
- Specialist Ophthalmic and Orthoptic services for children in
community clinics across Bedfordshire including Looked After
- Specialist clinics for children with special needs at Child
Development Centre and Special Schools across Bedfordshire
- Vision screening at aged 4-5 years in Bedfordshire.
Where the Service is Based
- Enhanced Services Centre (Bedford)
- Child Development Centre (CDC - Bedford)
- Liverpool Road Health Centre (Luton)
- Wigmore Lane Health Centre (Luton)
- Edwin Lobo Centre (ELC - Luton)
- Flitwick Health Clinic
- Biggleswade Health Centre
- Shefford Health Centre
- The following special schools: Ridgeway; St John's; Sunnyside;
Hillcrest; Glenwood; Lady Zia Wernher.
Who to Refer
Children aged 0-16, or 19yrs with complex medical needs in
education, registered with a Bedfordshire GP
- Children with defects of binocular vision, squint and
- Children with symptoms of headaches and blurred vision
associated with close work, diplopia (double vision) or eye
- Children who fail to meet agreed standards of vision at School
vision test (5+ years)
- Children whose parents/carers are concerned about their visual
development or possible eye movement problems or where there is a
strong family history of eye disorders
- Children who fail to meet local and national pre-school (4-5
years) orthoptic screening standards.
Additional Information to Support Referral Criteria
On receipt of the referral the Orthoptist prioritises urgency
and nearest clinic venue if not specified in referral letter.
Please note: when seeking/receiving advice in regard to patient
care and making referrals, NHS Connecting for Health Information
Governance standards and policies must be adhered to.
Patient Information Leaflets
Services in Bedfordshire
British & Irish Orthoptic Society (hyperlink to) http://www.orthoptics.org.uk/